Sunday, April 17, 2011

Loving Home!

Lauren here!

I saw an episode of the TV show "Good Luck Charlie" a few days ago that was thoroughly entertaining for me. The mom of the family had her eye poked by her two-year-old daughter and went to the hospital to have it checked. Once there, the doctor says she's free to go home since the eye only needs some eye drops. However, the mom starts crying, saying she doesn't want to go home to the cooking and cleaning and diaper changing and homework helping. Being a nurse at the hospital, she blackmails the doctor into keeping her overnight. The family members come to visit (four kids and her husband) and she attempts to get rid of them in order to return to watching TV and eating Chinese take-out. You have to laugh watching this from a hospital bed - the same bed you've been in for the past 21 days - as you wonder what it would be like to WANT to be stuck there.

On the contrary, I absolutely love being at home!!! My own bed is so much more comfortable (as is our family room couch) and the food is homemade! Yum! I get to see every family member every day. I'd forgotten how loud it is at home with a trumpet, clarinet, saxophone, and piano along with music playing during homework times and siblings telling stories from their day. I'm still enjoying the noise (or at least trying to) because the alternative is a silent hospital room which is no fun at all. I love being able to use nice toilet paper and crash on our couch and walk to the fridge for a snack. The stairs can take energy out of me but I'm trying to move around to get things for myself and build up strength.

I managed to go to an hour of school on Friday to talk to the nurses and my counselor as well as my government teacher. Today I went to sacrament meeting at 1 - I'm still not really waking up until 9 or so, and meds are at 10. Tomorrow I'm hoping to go to two hours of school before the next chemo dose on Tuesday. Maybe I'll even make it to seminary this week... High school graduation is in six weeks!!! I just have to finish government, take the AP Spanish test (I'll kick myself if I don't at least try it), and pass two Constitution tests. Oh, and I'm graduating from seminary which means I need to finish about 30 make ups within the next two or three weeks.

Health wise, I'm hanging in there. Barely. The docs do want to treat the blood clot that stretches from my sternum to my left shoulder (roughly) which stinks because the treatment is 3 months of twice-a-day shots that are quite painful. Currently, mom is giving them to me (she says "sorry, sorry, sorry" the entire time I'm saying "ow, ow, ow") but I'll eventually have to give them to myself which totally stinks. My hair still seems to be stuck to my scalp and I'm hoping it stays that way for the next six weeks at least. I've dropped at least 20 pounds since the beginning of the year and am skin and bones right now - though I still have some flab which serves well for shot-giving areas. At least I've started eating again. I still have about 16% energy level each day and am struggling with falling asleep at night. Could be side effects of chemo, could be the insane hospital schedule still stuck in my head. And I still have headaches every day though they aren't as severe. I'll probably have to get another blood transfusion on Tuesday along with the chemo. I think that covers everything.

And now I go to our comfy couch for a nap...

No comments: